Con-artist pretends to be Essex Police officer to scam residents

Con-artist pretends to be Essex Police to scam residents

Con-artist pretends to be Essex Police to scam residents

First published in Local News
Last updated
by

A SUSPECTED con-artist has been imitating an Essex Police officer to try and scam residents out of cash.

The woman has made at least three calls saying she is based at Basildon police station and her name is ‘Sarah’. Two of the calls were made to people in Hockley who both suspected ‘Sarah’ was a trickster and quickly ended the calls.

A man in Cambridgeshire was also targeted and told by Sarah she was based in Essex and wanted to call round to search his home as part of an investigation. He then ended the conversation and called Essex Police.

All three calls were made on Wednesday.

Insp Mark Rayner at Basildon said: "Fortunately all the people who received the calls hung up and contacted us.

"But we are concerned there might have been other people who fell for the story and might have let a stranger or strangers into their homes.

"We urge everyone to be vigilant if they are called by anyone claiming to be a police officer wanting to do a house search.

"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number, make a note of the conversation then call 101 to report the incident to Essex Police. If someone calls you then turns up at your doorstep dial 999 immediately.”

Police enquiries are continuing into the calls but they are not being linked to a series of telephone frauds by bogus police officers who tricked their victims into handing over bank cards or large amounts of cash.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:01pm Fri 15 Aug 14

supermadmax says...

"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number,"

Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.
"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number," Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long. supermadmax
  • Score: 8

12:04am Sat 16 Aug 14

alert says...

supermadmax wrote:
"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number,"

Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.
Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!!
[quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: "If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number," Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.[/p][/quote]Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!! alert
  • Score: -1

12:54am Sat 16 Aug 14

Kim Gandy says...

alert wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number,"

Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.
Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!!
They especially favour the kebab stall at Roundacre roundabout... especially while there is criminal activity going on right next to them that they have been called out for but choose to ignore instead..

Remember the story a couple of weeks ago about the travellers at Roundacre...
[quote][p][bold]alert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: "If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number," Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.[/p][/quote]Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!![/p][/quote]They especially favour the kebab stall at Roundacre roundabout... especially while there is criminal activity going on right next to them that they have been called out for but choose to ignore instead.. Remember the story a couple of weeks ago about the travellers at Roundacre... Kim Gandy
  • Score: 3

5:51pm Sat 16 Aug 14

danger2013 says...

The best way to solve this case is for the next person who gets the call to agree for the fake police to come to their house for the search and have the real police waiting for them on their way out. Bingo
The best way to solve this case is for the next person who gets the call to agree for the fake police to come to their house for the search and have the real police waiting for them on their way out. Bingo danger2013
  • Score: 2

1:06am Sun 17 Aug 14

ThisYear says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
alert wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
"If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number,"

Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.
Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!!
They especially favour the kebab stall at Roundacre roundabout... especially while there is criminal activity going on right next to them that they have been called out for but choose to ignore instead..

Remember the story a couple of weeks ago about the travellers at Roundacre...
"The world is turmoil"

Gandy: "Yes but worry about Travellers...for goodness sake worry about Travellers!"

Gandy you're obsessed with Travellers...
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: "If you do receive a call, hang up but try dialling 1471 to get the caller’s number," Shows how lazy the police are, They can trace 141 withheld numbers from the phone companies easy but prefer to drive about chatting and b ithching about their colleges all day long.[/p][/quote]Yer & waiting for mopeds easy targets they also luv fat greasy kebabs !!!![/p][/quote]They especially favour the kebab stall at Roundacre roundabout... especially while there is criminal activity going on right next to them that they have been called out for but choose to ignore instead.. Remember the story a couple of weeks ago about the travellers at Roundacre...[/p][/quote]"The world is turmoil" Gandy: "Yes but worry about Travellers...for goodness sake worry about Travellers!" Gandy you're obsessed with Travellers... ThisYear
  • Score: 1

9:31am Mon 18 Aug 14

n-unknown says...

The police have given some wrong advice in this situation. They shouldn't dial 1471, they shouldn't even use the same phone at all afterwards.

The conmen usually keep the line connected during the scam so that if the individual attempts to call the 'actual' police, they will still be connected and speaking to the conmen who can then trick the victim even further.

The best thing to do is to use a different phone (mobile, next door neighbor's, etc) to call the police immediately. The conmen are usually in the area already, so it is imperative that the police are called ASAP.

Unfortunately, unless the police attempt to set up a sting to catch the conmen, they will have a very hard time getting any results.
The police have given some wrong advice in this situation. They shouldn't dial 1471, they shouldn't even use the same phone at all afterwards. The conmen usually keep the line connected during the scam so that if the individual attempts to call the 'actual' police, they will still be connected and speaking to the conmen who can then trick the victim even further. The best thing to do is to use a different phone (mobile, next door neighbor's, etc) to call the police immediately. The conmen are usually in the area already, so it is imperative that the police are called ASAP. Unfortunately, unless the police attempt to set up a sting to catch the conmen, they will have a very hard time getting any results. n-unknown
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree