Canvey couple left stranded in home after 27 years of flooding problems

Helen and Peter Watt were left stranded in their house in Furtherwick Road, Cavney, once again after 27 years of flooding problems

Helen and Peter Watt were left stranded in their house in Furtherwick Road, Cavney, once again after 27 years of flooding problems

First published in News by

A COUPLE living on Canvey who have been continually flooded for 27 years say enough is enough and something has to be done.

Peter and Helen Watt live in Furtherwick Road at the junction of Western Esplanade on the seafront and their front and back gardens were swamped with water after the heavy rain.

The damage from the excess rainwater has got so bad the foundations of their house have been affected and they couldn’t even leave their home on Tuesday.

The couple have even tried using sandbags over the years to stop the water coming up but it didn’t work- the water was about a foot deep in the middle of the road on Furtherwick Road and about half that in the front gardens.

Mrs Watt, 66, said: “We have lived here for 27 years and the first time it flooded it was a big shock because we had no idea.

“You didn’t have to give out that kind of information in those days. We have heard so many times that the council will do something about it but it has never happened.

“It is very frustrating and it can really get you down because it’s just the same thing every year. Our front and back garden was completely swamped this time and we couldn’t leave the house without putting on a pair of wellies.
“Our house is the most low lying in the area and we seem to be the worst effected each time.”

Mrs Watt explained that the speeding cars going up and down the seafront just added to the problem and filled her front garden with more water.

She added: “When the cars speed past the spray comes into the garden and this adds to the amount of water. The water then goes through the air vents at the bottom of the house and under our floorboards and it takes months to dry out, the smell is just awful.

“Enough is enough and we just want to see something done to help the people living here.”
 

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:10am Wed 28 Nov 12

Russ13 says...

Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?
Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding? Russ13
  • Score: 1

9:31am Wed 28 Nov 12

AndyBSG says...

Russ13 wrote:
Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?
Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area.

The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods!
[quote][p][bold]Russ13[/bold] wrote: Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?[/p][/quote]Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area. The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods! AndyBSG
  • Score: 1

10:24am Wed 28 Nov 12

Eric Whim says...

soon be plenty of cheap houses n Southend to move to if you don't the occasional plane flying overhead.....
soon be plenty of cheap houses n Southend to move to if you don't the occasional plane flying overhead..... Eric Whim
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Wed 28 Nov 12

firedog says...

As Eric suggests do a swop with the airport moaners.
As Eric suggests do a swop with the airport moaners. firedog
  • Score: 0

4:39pm Wed 28 Nov 12

John T Pharro says...

AndyBSG wrote:
Russ13 wrote:
Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?
Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area.

The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods!
That is correct and Councillor Howard and Councillor Blackwell are correct to raise this issue. It is the fact that the drains cannot cope because they were either as you say or collapsed and need replacing (that is if they are not clogged up with all the loose chippings left after the so called pothole filling). If the water cannot reach the pumps then stating the obvious it cannot be pumped to sea.
What is so annoying is that it happens every time there is heavy rain and nothing is done.
[quote][p][bold]AndyBSG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Russ13[/bold] wrote: Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?[/p][/quote]Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area. The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods![/p][/quote]That is correct and Councillor Howard and Councillor Blackwell are correct to raise this issue. It is the fact that the drains cannot cope because they were either as you say or collapsed and need replacing (that is if they are not clogged up with all the loose chippings left after the so called pothole filling). If the water cannot reach the pumps then stating the obvious it cannot be pumped to sea. What is so annoying is that it happens every time there is heavy rain and nothing is done. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

9:38am Thu 29 Nov 12

G Man says...

"According to the Strategic Flood Risk Assessment the Environment Agency has confirmed that they have no records of groundwater flooding in the Castle Point area."
"According to the Strategic Flood Risk Assessment the Environment Agency has confirmed that they have no records of groundwater flooding in the Castle Point area." G Man
  • Score: 0

11:12am Thu 29 Nov 12

ccd says...

Continually flooded or regularly flooded? Come on Echo...
Continually flooded or regularly flooded? Come on Echo... ccd
  • Score: 0

4:31pm Sun 2 Dec 12

John T Pharro says...

John T Pharro wrote:
AndyBSG wrote:
Russ13 wrote:
Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?
Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area.

The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods!
That is correct and Councillor Howard and Councillor Blackwell are correct to raise this issue. It is the fact that the drains cannot cope because they were either as you say or collapsed and need replacing (that is if they are not clogged up with all the loose chippings left after the so called pothole filling). If the water cannot reach the pumps then stating the obvious it cannot be pumped to sea.
What is so annoying is that it happens every time there is heavy rain and nothing is done.
Having said that having driven past today, it hardly helps that they drive their car all over the grass verge so it resembles a ploughed field.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndyBSG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Russ13[/bold] wrote: Whilst I sympathise with these people I can't help wondering how anyone living on Canvey can be surprised about flooding?[/p][/quote]Probably because the rest of the island doesn't flood. Thanks to the sea wall we're less at risk of flooding than most of the surrounding area but where this couple live is an oddity when it comes to that rule and I think it has less to do with sea level and more to do with poorly designed drainage in that area. The houses immediately surrounding them don't have the same problem but their house and the road immediately outside it are always flooded even with the smallest amount of rain. On the other side of the road from them is a gravel car park and field which is level with their house yet that never floods![/p][/quote]That is correct and Councillor Howard and Councillor Blackwell are correct to raise this issue. It is the fact that the drains cannot cope because they were either as you say or collapsed and need replacing (that is if they are not clogged up with all the loose chippings left after the so called pothole filling). If the water cannot reach the pumps then stating the obvious it cannot be pumped to sea. What is so annoying is that it happens every time there is heavy rain and nothing is done.[/p][/quote]Having said that having driven past today, it hardly helps that they drive their car all over the grass verge so it resembles a ploughed field. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree