Deanes School in Benfleet does best in borough for GCSE results

Deanes School in Benfleet does best in borough for GCSE results

Deanes School in Benfleet does best in borough for GCSE results

First published in News by

THE headteacher of the secondary school with the biggest GCSE rise in Castle Point says results are still on the up and students are not getting complacent.

The Deanes School in Benfleet recorded a six per cent rise in GCSE results for students getting five A* to C including English and maths.

It went from 51 per cent in 2011 to 57 per cent last year and the news has been welcomed by headteacher Jan Atkinson, who has been in post for eight years.

Mrs Atkinson said: “I am really pleased to hear that we have improved and have seen the biggest rise in the borough.

“We have put in quite a lot of extra work and interventions over the last couple of years and its lovely when the official results come out.

“It is a bit of a reward for the hard work we have done but we are not getting complacent.”

Castle View School in Canvey recorded 56 per cent for 2011 and 2012 and Cornelius Vermuyden School recorded a one per cent rise from 56 in 2011 to 57 in 2012.

King John School in Thundersley, which became an academy at Easter last year, saw a six per cent drop in results after getting 81 per cent in 2011 and 75 per cent in 2012.

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:47pm Sat 26 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

Deanes haven't done best at all, they have just recorded the largest improvement which is not the same thing. Deanes has still got a huge problem with pupils behaviour compared with the neighbouring King John School who run a much tighter ship, as reflected in their 75% pass rates.
Deanes haven't done best at all, they have just recorded the largest improvement which is not the same thing. Deanes has still got a huge problem with pupils behaviour compared with the neighbouring King John School who run a much tighter ship, as reflected in their 75% pass rates. Local yachtsman
  • Score: -1

5:32pm Sat 26 Jan 13

Doughnut says...

That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.
That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth. Doughnut
  • Score: 0

6:22pm Sat 26 Jan 13

John T Pharro says...

Doughnut wrote:
That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.
True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks.
[quote][p][bold]Doughnut[/bold] wrote: That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.[/p][/quote]True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks. John T Pharro
  • Score: 1

6:22pm Sat 26 Jan 13

John T Pharro says...

Doughnut wrote:
That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.
True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks.
[quote][p][bold]Doughnut[/bold] wrote: That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.[/p][/quote]True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

6:23pm Sat 26 Jan 13

John T Pharro says...

John T Pharro wrote:
Doughnut wrote:
That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.
True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks.
Sorry should have said local yachtsman.
[quote][p][bold]John T Pharro[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Doughnut[/bold] wrote: That headline is a complete lie, as Loyal yachtsman says. King John at 75%. Appleton at 66% etc. Well done Ms Atkinson for the improvement, but the Echo have undermined your achievement by distorting the truth.[/p][/quote]True, but I thought an Academy was supposed to be wonderful so home come King John went down from 81 percent to 75 percent. Your "tight ship" Doughnut appears to have acquired a few leaks.[/p][/quote]Sorry should have said local yachtsman. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

9:34pm Sat 26 Jan 13

Doughnut says...

You obviously went to Deanes. I can tell by your grammar !! lol
You obviously went to Deanes. I can tell by your grammar !! lol Doughnut
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Sat 26 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Well done to all the teachers at Deanes. Excellent news - may it continue to improve.
Well done to all the teachers at Deanes. Excellent news - may it continue to improve. Diannah
  • Score: 1

6:04pm Sun 27 Jan 13

John T Pharro says...

Doughnut wrote:
You obviously went to Deanes. I can tell by your grammar !! lol
If you mean me. Sorry sometimes you do not pick up errors. No I did not go to Deanes. I went to Orleans Sec Mod in Twickenham and left in 1960. Oh I did get 1 GCE (as they were then) in English.
[quote][p][bold]Doughnut[/bold] wrote: You obviously went to Deanes. I can tell by your grammar !! lol[/p][/quote]If you mean me. Sorry sometimes you do not pick up errors. No I did not go to Deanes. I went to Orleans Sec Mod in Twickenham and left in 1960. Oh I did get 1 GCE (as they were then) in English. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

11:30am Mon 28 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Well done Deanes you do not attempt to manipulate your figures by making chldren take their GCSEs early so that they have more chances, start their courses one year earlier so that they narrow their breadth of study and also run an entrance exam which enables them to boost the average. Oh and also be more inclusive so a wider range of children attend.
I am not knocking King John they are an excellent school but results are not always everything and it is a sad reflection on us as parents and society as a whole that we only focus on meaningless league tables and judge a school by this.
Deanes has suffered by and large by not being able to secure the funding required to make building improvements as it is younger than King John and was further down the list.
Well done Deanes you do not attempt to manipulate your figures by making chldren take their GCSEs early so that they have more chances, start their courses one year earlier so that they narrow their breadth of study and also run an entrance exam which enables them to boost the average. Oh and also be more inclusive so a wider range of children attend. I am not knocking King John they are an excellent school but results are not always everything and it is a sad reflection on us as parents and society as a whole that we only focus on meaningless league tables and judge a school by this. Deanes has suffered by and large by not being able to secure the funding required to make building improvements as it is younger than King John and was further down the list. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

8:19am Tue 29 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
Local Yachtsman
King John does much better at sport because
a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports
b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does.

As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both.
The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because
1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas
2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results
3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally

So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools HadleighBoy
  • Score: 2

11:57am Tue 29 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools
My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.
[quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools[/p][/quote]My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

3:50pm Tue 29 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools
My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.
Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically).

I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools[/p][/quote]My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.[/p][/quote]Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically). I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take. Diannah
  • Score: 1

3:55pm Tue 29 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Diannah wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote:
HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools
My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.
Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically). I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take.
Well said it annoys me when people take things at face value when there is always more to it.
[quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools[/p][/quote]My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.[/p][/quote]Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically). I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take.[/p][/quote]Well said it annoys me when people take things at face value when there is always more to it. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

6:21pm Tue 29 Jan 13

John T Pharro says...

HadleighBoy wrote:
Diannah wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote:
HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.
Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools
My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.
Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically). I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take.
Well said it annoys me when people take things at face value when there is always more to it.
I second that and what yachtsman cannot deny is Deanes results went up and King John down. What concerns me is this push, push,push by the Government that Academy's are the only way of improving results (and that is questionable given as Grammar Schools only get very able pupils and every advantage to get good results, would love to see how good their results would be if they had less gifted children).
Above all league tables, academic results NEVER reflect a level playing field showing how hard teachers work to give all children a good education. Before the "they get good holidays, good pay lot" put their oar in, if you think it is that easy you become a teacher.
[quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Diannah[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: The bottom line is that 3/4 of KJ's pupils got 5 or more GCSE passes whereas Appleton could only manage 66% and Deanes 57% so it is perfectly clear that Deanes is NOT the best school in Castle Point, it is the WORST! It also has by far the worst reputation for poor pupil behaviour, it claims to be a sports college so it tends to attract the no-hoper yobbos who are only interested in playing football - hence the bad pupil behavior - but in truth the sports facilities are rubbish, KJ's are much better. Check out the figures, KJ's does much better at most sports than Deanes. If the head is improving things then good for her but don't kid yourself, she has had eight years to do this and until now she has failed miserably and even with this rise Deanes is still the worst school around.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman King John does much better at sport because a) it is bigger therefore has a bigger selection for sports b) it particpates in fewer sporting activities and also does not offer the breadth of sports that Deanes does. As to discipline I thik you will find that if you scratch the surface you will find they both have their issues KJS just manages to avoid them by its reputation but let me assure you that there are jsut as many problems as both. The issues here is really league tables KJS is very good because of the reasons in my last post. Deanes you are quite right has a different level of ability in its pupils and that is because 1) Its catchment area includes more deprived areas 2) It does not have an entrance exam that improves its overall results 3) It takes on more SEN children both physically and mentally So I say well done both schools but please do not judge what you do not know I speak from experience of both schools[/p][/quote]My family also has experience of both schools and there is no doubt whatsoever that KJS has a much stricter discipline policy, and it shows. And it's not just about catchment areas either, not that there's much difference between the two. Parents of pupils from local primary schools tend to choose KJS for more academic pupils and Deanes for the less academic pupils so the raw material is biased right from the start. I know which one I'd prefer my children to go to and it's certainly not Deanes.[/p][/quote]Both my daughters went to Deanes and we were seriously impressed by how passionate and friendly the teachers were and the success my daughters achieved (and not just academically). I believe, from experience, that you get out of a school what you put in to it. I find that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are not prepared to give - only take.[/p][/quote]Well said it annoys me when people take things at face value when there is always more to it.[/p][/quote]I second that and what yachtsman cannot deny is Deanes results went up and King John down. What concerns me is this push, push,push by the Government that Academy's are the only way of improving results (and that is questionable given as Grammar Schools only get very able pupils and every advantage to get good results, would love to see how good their results would be if they had less gifted children). Above all league tables, academic results NEVER reflect a level playing field showing how hard teachers work to give all children a good education. Before the "they get good holidays, good pay lot" put their oar in, if you think it is that easy you become a teacher. John T Pharro
  • Score: 0

5:24pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

The bottom line is that the headline "Deanes School in Benfleet does best in borough for GCSE results" IS A LIE!
.
Deanes 57%
Appleton 66%
KJS 75%
.
So who did best? Most certainly NOT DEANES.
.
Btw your comments about Grammar Schools stink of the politics of envy. No doubt you would do away with them and level everyone down, despite the fact that Ofstead has just said that the more able students are not doing very well in non-grammar schools because they are not pushed enough. Truth is that if you want decent Doctors, Lawyers, Architects etc, then you need decent grammar schools so you should be grateful that we actually have some in Southend.
.
ps I do more than my fair share of helping at schools and sports clubs (do you?). so your derogatory remarks are meaningless.
The bottom line is that the headline "Deanes School in Benfleet does best in borough for GCSE results" IS A LIE! . Deanes 57% Appleton 66% KJS 75% . So who did best? Most certainly NOT DEANES. . Btw your comments about Grammar Schools stink of the politics of envy. No doubt you would do away with them and level everyone down, despite the fact that Ofstead has just said that the more able students are not doing very well in non-grammar schools because they are not pushed enough. Truth is that if you want decent Doctors, Lawyers, Architects etc, then you need decent grammar schools so you should be grateful that we actually have some in Southend. . ps I do more than my fair share of helping at schools and sports clubs (do you?). so your derogatory remarks are meaningless. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

"Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error)
"Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error) Local yachtsman
  • Score: -1

6:33pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
"Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error)
I don't understand - please explain yourself.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: "Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error)[/p][/quote]I don't understand - please explain yourself. Diannah
  • Score: 0

7:09pm Wed 30 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
"Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error)
Do you know my children then ? and are you therefore qualified to comment on if they have reached their full potential. One of them is very academic thank you and is at university the other was not so academic but has made us proud in her work ethic and way she behaves.

Being against Grammar schools is not the politics of envy. The issue is that Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective.
What should happen is that the education of children in this country should be a priority not a political game. Children should ALL be afforded the opportunities to develop irrespective of where they come from or what school they go to.
School is much more than just academic results and I think what you will find Mr Local Yachtsman is what the Echo is trying to say is well done to Deanes for increasing the pass rate for the pupils at the school NOT that they have the best pass rate. They deserve some congratulations they take a larger number of SENs they take no selected children, they take pupils from anywhere and try to help them develop what they do not needs is people like you sneering at them.
And by the way I am also a Deanes pupil and without going to Grammar School or University I have taken the values of hard work and a thirst for knowledge gained at Deanes with me thorughout my life to have a pretty decent life thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: "Both my daughters went to Deanes" Then you made a B i g mistake didn't you? (not that I expect you to admit your error)[/p][/quote]Do you know my children then ? and are you therefore qualified to comment on if they have reached their full potential. One of them is very academic thank you and is at university the other was not so academic but has made us proud in her work ethic and way she behaves. Being against Grammar schools is not the politics of envy. The issue is that Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective. What should happen is that the education of children in this country should be a priority not a political game. Children should ALL be afforded the opportunities to develop irrespective of where they come from or what school they go to. School is much more than just academic results and I think what you will find Mr Local Yachtsman is what the Echo is trying to say is well done to Deanes for increasing the pass rate for the pupils at the school NOT that they have the best pass rate. They deserve some congratulations they take a larger number of SENs they take no selected children, they take pupils from anywhere and try to help them develop what they do not needs is people like you sneering at them. And by the way I am also a Deanes pupil and without going to Grammar School or University I have taken the values of hard work and a thirst for knowledge gained at Deanes with me thorughout my life to have a pretty decent life thanks. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 1

8:54pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

"Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective".
What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there?
"Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective". What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there? Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

9:27pm Wed 30 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
"Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective".
What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there?
Actually, it's my girls to whom you are referring. I ask again, what did your previous comment mean?

How many of your own children went/go to Deanes?
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: "Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective". What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there?[/p][/quote]Actually, it's my girls to whom you are referring. I ask again, what did your previous comment mean? How many of your own children went/go to Deanes? Diannah
  • Score: 0

8:14am Thu 31 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
"Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective". What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there?
Local Yachtsman
As it happens yes but I also have children at King John, and guess what when you start digging beneath the surface you start seeing how it is all a matter of lies **** lies and statistics.
For an example Deanes is a sports college all pupils have to take GCSE PE which consists of coursework and a set of written exams, KJS equivalent all coursework no exam, same with A Level PE SEEVIC you take PE that involves coursework and a written exam KJS all coursework.
To say Deanes is rubbsih is a diservice to all those staff and pupils that work hard. It is disrputiv epupils that are the issue and as I said previously Deanes also takes SEN children, KJS does all in its power to discourage them going there as it affects the league tables. Instead of looking at overall number look at the indivdual child and look at what they were predicted to get based on when they start at secondary school and look at what they actually get that is also the sign of a good school. Some schools choose the easy path others have to take what they get and become inclusive not exclusive.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: "Grammar schools are able to afford their pupils more oppurtunities because they are able to show excellent academic results because they are selective". What on earth are you talking about? How do grammar schools "afford their pupils more opportunities"? The difference between grammars and the rest is that grammar schools expect a LOT more from their pupils. Most grammar pupils rise to the challenge which leads to better exam passes which leads to better degrees which leads to better opportunities. I know examples where one child has been at the top end of Deanes whilst their sibling just scraped into Southend High and the difference in the quality and quantity of work they were expected to do was staggering. The grammars push their pupils much, much harder and expect them to keep up whilst the local schools just dawdle along, as you would know if you knew more about this subject. The answer is simple, if schools like Deanes expected a lot more from their pupils they would probably get it, from most, and judging by the headline it sounds like they are just starting to do exactly that. Most local schools have got lower results this year because of the grade boundary debacle and yet Deanes have done better. Well done Deanes Then again it is about time Deanes improved their usually dismal results and as they are still clearly the most awful school in the area they still have a long way to go, don't they. ps If you don't agree that Deanes are rubbish then you simply don't know enough to comment. Live close to Deanes do you? Is that why your girls went there?[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman As it happens yes but I also have children at King John, and guess what when you start digging beneath the surface you start seeing how it is all a matter of lies **** lies and statistics. For an example Deanes is a sports college all pupils have to take GCSE PE which consists of coursework and a set of written exams, KJS equivalent all coursework no exam, same with A Level PE SEEVIC you take PE that involves coursework and a written exam KJS all coursework. To say Deanes is rubbsih is a diservice to all those staff and pupils that work hard. It is disrputiv epupils that are the issue and as I said previously Deanes also takes SEN children, KJS does all in its power to discourage them going there as it affects the league tables. Instead of looking at overall number look at the indivdual child and look at what they were predicted to get based on when they start at secondary school and look at what they actually get that is also the sign of a good school. Some schools choose the easy path others have to take what they get and become inclusive not exclusive. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

11:48am Thu 31 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge?
Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge? Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Thu 31 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge?
Local Yachtsman

War between Belfairs and Deanes are you serious a few idiotic kids does not contstitute a war. KJS is not immune from such things the first day King John opened there was a mass fight between Benfleet and Hadleigh kids, when I was at Deanes we there were always some kind of fights going on between KJS and Deanes and Belfairs and Appleton that is afraid a sad fact of life.
Also I have had more issues of petty theft at KJS than Deanes.
As to the pushing you are under the naive assumption that it is the pusihing that makes the kids brighter at Grammar Schools I think if you look at the statistices provided last week by Julian Ware-Lane a Southend councillor that the reason is that all of the GOOD grammar schools in Southend are populated with more pupils from outside the borough than inside. Thus sucking the talent out of the local schools catchment areas, this also happens with KJS so that you are left with a distribution of abilities skewed to the lower end.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge?[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman War between Belfairs and Deanes are you serious a few idiotic kids does not contstitute a war. KJS is not immune from such things the first day King John opened there was a mass fight between Benfleet and Hadleigh kids, when I was at Deanes we there were always some kind of fights going on between KJS and Deanes and Belfairs and Appleton that is afraid a sad fact of life. Also I have had more issues of petty theft at KJS than Deanes. As to the pushing you are under the naive assumption that it is the pusihing that makes the kids brighter at Grammar Schools I think if you look at the statistices provided last week by Julian Ware-Lane a Southend councillor that the reason is that all of the GOOD grammar schools in Southend are populated with more pupils from outside the borough than inside. Thus sucking the talent out of the local schools catchment areas, this also happens with KJS so that you are left with a distribution of abilities skewed to the lower end. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

12:52pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge?
Just because my daughters went to Deanes, doesn't mean to say they did not know KJ students and believe me, bad things happen there too. There are some particularly nasty incidents which immediately spring to mind. If, as you say, you know boys who went there and you don't believe problems happen there too then you are seriously misguided. However, my initial post was to praise the teachers there, not discuss your childrens' lack of ability to achieve at Deanes.

I have never mentioned grammar schools - I think you are confused there. However, for your information, I am an ex WHSG student. The pupils weren't all perfect there either!
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Fine, that explains Deanes pathetic exam pass rates and the war between Deanes and Belfairs a few years ago when knives etc were being flashed? Nothing like that has ever happened at KJS has it? And yes, my daughter went to Deanes as we were living well within the catchment area at the time. However, after her experience all our boys went to KJS, so we know how much stricter their discipline and academic rigour is. We also know many other boys who have gone to both schools including our first grandson and nothing changes. So Diannah do you now understand the real difference between grammars and comprehensives? That the grammars push their pupils much more, and most of the kids rise to the challenge?[/p][/quote]Just because my daughters went to Deanes, doesn't mean to say they did not know KJ students and believe me, bad things happen there too. There are some particularly nasty incidents which immediately spring to mind. If, as you say, you know boys who went there and you don't believe problems happen there too then you are seriously misguided. However, my initial post was to praise the teachers there, not discuss your childrens' lack of ability to achieve at Deanes. I have never mentioned grammar schools - I think you are confused there. However, for your information, I am an ex WHSG student. The pupils weren't all perfect there either! Diannah
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

You lot are twisting my words and making completely unfounded assumptions. No kids are perfect, of course there are problems at all schools, but it's how much and how bad that counts. Oh and my daughter didn't underachieve at Deanes Diannah, she went on to get three A levels at Seevic and did her degree at York. And if you went to Westcliff, as I did, then you should KNOW how much more the grammars expect, and usually get, from their pupils.
.
I am glad you admitted that KJS is a good school HB, and that the problem at Deanes is disruptive pupils. I know the Deanes school secretary and couple of years ago she told me that she would never allow her own daughter to go there (and she didn't) as "the kids are allowed to run riot" (although you obviously know better, not). Deanes problems are mostly due to the fact that a lot of the local dunces and trouble makers choose to go there as it is a "sports college" and visibly less academic than KJS. And so what if there was a fight at KJS the day it opened, that was fifty years ago you muppet and in those days KJS was as bad as any other comprehensive, but it is not like that now. Oh, and KJS do not turn special needs pupils away as you claim, they accept everyone from their catchment area just as Deanes do, and judging by what I have heard from parents of SN pupils they do a good job for them.
.
Bottom line is 75% passes at KJS, only 57% at Deanes. The headline is a misleading LIE! End of argument.
You lot are twisting my words and making completely unfounded assumptions. No kids are perfect, of course there are problems at all schools, but it's how much and how bad that counts. Oh and my daughter didn't underachieve at Deanes Diannah, she went on to get three A levels at Seevic and did her degree at York. And if you went to Westcliff, as I did, then you should KNOW how much more the grammars expect, and usually get, from their pupils. . I am glad you admitted that KJS is a good school HB, and that the problem at Deanes is disruptive pupils. I know the Deanes school secretary and couple of years ago she told me that she would never allow her own daughter to go there (and she didn't) as "the kids are allowed to run riot" (although you obviously know better, not). Deanes problems are mostly due to the fact that a lot of the local dunces and trouble makers choose to go there as it is a "sports college" and visibly less academic than KJS. And so what if there was a fight at KJS the day it opened, that was fifty years ago you muppet and in those days KJS was as bad as any other comprehensive, but it is not like that now. Oh, and KJS do not turn special needs pupils away as you claim, they accept everyone from their catchment area just as Deanes do, and judging by what I have heard from parents of SN pupils they do a good job for them. . Bottom line is 75% passes at KJS, only 57% at Deanes. The headline is a misleading LIE! End of argument. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Thu 31 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
You lot are twisting my words and making completely unfounded assumptions. No kids are perfect, of course there are problems at all schools, but it's how much and how bad that counts. Oh and my daughter didn't underachieve at Deanes Diannah, she went on to get three A levels at Seevic and did her degree at York. And if you went to Westcliff, as I did, then you should KNOW how much more the grammars expect, and usually get, from their pupils. . I am glad you admitted that KJS is a good school HB, and that the problem at Deanes is disruptive pupils. I know the Deanes school secretary and couple of years ago she told me that she would never allow her own daughter to go there (and she didn't) as "the kids are allowed to run riot" (although you obviously know better, not). Deanes problems are mostly due to the fact that a lot of the local dunces and trouble makers choose to go there as it is a "sports college" and visibly less academic than KJS. And so what if there was a fight at KJS the day it opened, that was fifty years ago you muppet and in those days KJS was as bad as any other comprehensive, but it is not like that now. Oh, and KJS do not turn special needs pupils away as you claim, they accept everyone from their catchment area just as Deanes do, and judging by what I have heard from parents of SN pupils they do a good job for them. . Bottom line is 75% passes at KJS, only 57% at Deanes. The headline is a misleading LIE! End of argument.
Actually just as a point of order it was over 60 years ago. And it was considered a good school then and certainly expected a lot from its pupils. Anyway moving on suggest that you write to the editor of The Echo and ask them to talk to their Headline writers as if you bothered to read the article it is the Echo that is claims it is the best school not Mrs Atkinson who is quoted as saying "Mrs Atkinson said: “I am really pleased to hear that we have improved and have seen the biggest rise in the borough"

The problem at all schools is disruptive pupils and this is something that unfortunatley is down to the parents not the school.

It is a sad state of affairs that an increasing number of people do not teach their children any respect or tolerance and then expect the schools to deal with it.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: You lot are twisting my words and making completely unfounded assumptions. No kids are perfect, of course there are problems at all schools, but it's how much and how bad that counts. Oh and my daughter didn't underachieve at Deanes Diannah, she went on to get three A levels at Seevic and did her degree at York. And if you went to Westcliff, as I did, then you should KNOW how much more the grammars expect, and usually get, from their pupils. . I am glad you admitted that KJS is a good school HB, and that the problem at Deanes is disruptive pupils. I know the Deanes school secretary and couple of years ago she told me that she would never allow her own daughter to go there (and she didn't) as "the kids are allowed to run riot" (although you obviously know better, not). Deanes problems are mostly due to the fact that a lot of the local dunces and trouble makers choose to go there as it is a "sports college" and visibly less academic than KJS. And so what if there was a fight at KJS the day it opened, that was fifty years ago you muppet and in those days KJS was as bad as any other comprehensive, but it is not like that now. Oh, and KJS do not turn special needs pupils away as you claim, they accept everyone from their catchment area just as Deanes do, and judging by what I have heard from parents of SN pupils they do a good job for them. . Bottom line is 75% passes at KJS, only 57% at Deanes. The headline is a misleading LIE! End of argument.[/p][/quote]Actually just as a point of order it was over 60 years ago. And it was considered a good school then and certainly expected a lot from its pupils. Anyway moving on suggest that you write to the editor of The Echo and ask them to talk to their Headline writers as if you bothered to read the article it is the Echo that is claims it is the best school not Mrs Atkinson who is quoted as saying "Mrs Atkinson said: “I am really pleased to hear that we have improved and have seen the biggest rise in the borough" The problem at all schools is disruptive pupils and this is something that unfortunatley is down to the parents not the school. It is a sad state of affairs that an increasing number of people do not teach their children any respect or tolerance and then expect the schools to deal with it. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Just as an aside. I wonder what became of 'Aint it just the truth'? Another one who was very intolerant towards people having a different point of view to him. Probably due to his self confessed cannabis habit. Not sure what reminded me of him ;)
Just as an aside. I wonder what became of 'Aint it just the truth'? Another one who was very intolerant towards people having a different point of view to him. Probably due to his self confessed cannabis habit. Not sure what reminded me of him ;) Diannah
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.
No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Thu 31 Jan 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.
Are you really a yachtsman? Found most sailors are a tolerant bunch soemthing that you appear not to be.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.[/p][/quote]Are you really a yachtsman? Found most sailors are a tolerant bunch soemthing that you appear not to be. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.
Of course you are not AIJTT. You have clearly demonstrated on here that you find bad behaviour abhorrent so in my opinion, that includes not condoning illegal substances. There are coincidences though. Firstly, you both use the term 'muppet' which is not a word heard that often. Your name, Local Yachtsman indicates that you sail - AIJTT posted that he was a local mariner. Also, you both share the 'I think, therefore I am' attitude in your posts. As I say, just coicidences so please don't think I have insulted you by assuming you are both the same person.

As for losing the argument - there is no argument here to be lost. Your bullish attitude will not change my mind and cannot change my experience of the school. My views will not change your mind but I suggest you try not to be so personal - you clearly cannot take it, so don't give it.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.[/p][/quote]Of course you are not AIJTT. You have clearly demonstrated on here that you find bad behaviour abhorrent so in my opinion, that includes not condoning illegal substances. There are coincidences though. Firstly, you both use the term 'muppet' which is not a word heard that often. Your name, Local Yachtsman indicates that you sail - AIJTT posted that he was a local mariner. Also, you both share the 'I think, therefore I am' attitude in your posts. As I say, just coicidences so please don't think I have insulted you by assuming you are both the same person. As for losing the argument - there is no argument here to be lost. Your bullish attitude will not change my mind and cannot change my experience of the school. My views will not change your mind but I suggest you try not to be so personal - you clearly cannot take it, so don't give it. Diannah
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote: No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.
Are you really a yachtsman? Found most sailors are a tolerant bunch soemthing that you appear not to be.
I am a very tolerant person, except where ignorance and lies are concerned, and this headline is a LIE! (ps Victoria 800)
As for "not condoning illegal substances", huge numbers of people feel this law is wrong, every recent survey says that includes most under 65s so I am in the majority on that one.
[quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: No point continuing this, your arguments are just personal opinions that do not stand up to scrutiny. KJS only have 10% of places available to pupils from outside the catchment area but they get enough applicants to fill those places ten times over. Are all these people fools? Oh and as I remember it AIJTT did not say he had a cannabis "habit" Diannah, he simply agreed with the view of the Govts Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, and the Home Affairs Select Committee (and an awful lot of other people) that prohibition does not work and the law needs a rethink. Sinking to (twisted) personal insults now Diannah? A sure sign that you know you have lost the argument. Facts are facts Diannah, however distasteful you find them.[/p][/quote]Are you really a yachtsman? Found most sailors are a tolerant bunch soemthing that you appear not to be.[/p][/quote]I am a very tolerant person, except where ignorance and lies are concerned, and this headline is a LIE! (ps Victoria 800) As for "not condoning illegal substances", huge numbers of people feel this law is wrong, every recent survey says that includes most under 65s so I am in the majority on that one. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

11:57pm Thu 31 Jan 13

Local yachtsman says...

Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true.
Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

8:23am Fri 1 Feb 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true.
I am not saying it is the best school on the block you idiot, but just as you have said if a school was good for your children then fair enough the oppostie holds true. So do not go around slagging schools off just becasue you have had a problem. You do what everyone does sort it out for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true.[/p][/quote]I am not saying it is the best school on the block you idiot, but just as you have said if a school was good for your children then fair enough the oppostie holds true. So do not go around slagging schools off just becasue you have had a problem. You do what everyone does sort it out for yourself. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

11:04am Fri 1 Feb 13

Diannah says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true.
What more do you want me to say? You have done a fantastic job yourself in highlighting the success of Ms Atkinson. To be headteacher of a school with 'such badly behaved' pupils and still show a rise in results? Can you imagine if she were the head at KJ with all those 'perfectly behaved' children - the results would go through the roof!
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Wot no response? Diannah and HB, all schools will be good for some of its pupils and bad for others and if Deanes has been good for your children that's fine but don't try and tell us that a school with the lowest exam results in the area and a significant problem with disruptive pupils is the best school on the block because that cannot be true.[/p][/quote]What more do you want me to say? You have done a fantastic job yourself in highlighting the success of Ms Atkinson. To be headteacher of a school with 'such badly behaved' pupils and still show a rise in results? Can you imagine if she were the head at KJ with all those 'perfectly behaved' children - the results would go through the roof! Diannah
  • Score: 0

1:30pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Local yachtsman says...

Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True?
Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True? Local yachtsman
  • Score: -1

1:38pm Fri 1 Feb 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True?
Clueless, ignorant and rude. Local yachtsman we could go around in circles for years on this one lets just agree that you are one of those people that is completely taken in by League Tables as published by the Department of Educaiton and Skills and they tell the truth the whole truth etc.
I will leave you to your fantasy world in which it must be true because OFSTED say so.

I meanwhile we continue to read between the lines and applaud the good work that is being done.
One day you will understand that education is about the individual and how they achieve to the best of their abilities not about being a statistic.
Mrs Atkinson knows this other schools pander to the people who are blind to the real world.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True?[/p][/quote]Clueless, ignorant and rude. Local yachtsman we could go around in circles for years on this one lets just agree that you are one of those people that is completely taken in by League Tables as published by the Department of Educaiton and Skills and they tell the truth the whole truth etc. I will leave you to your fantasy world in which it must be true because OFSTED say so. I meanwhile we continue to read between the lines and applaud the good work that is being done. One day you will understand that education is about the individual and how they achieve to the best of their abilities not about being a statistic. Mrs Atkinson knows this other schools pander to the people who are blind to the real world. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

3:15pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Local yachtsman says...

Resorting to personal insults again because you have lost the argument? (that's 'argument' in the academic sense, not 'quarrel' - did you really go to WHSG?). Water off a ducks back dearie, I am far from clueless and certainly not taken in by statistics but the stats are undeniably part of the equation, which you don't seem to recognise. As it happens I have two head teachers in the family and one of my best friends is a recently retired local head teacher so I probably know a lot more about all this than you do and the fact remains that Deanes has a huge problem with disruptive behaviour and by far the worst academic record in Castle Point. As the Deanes school secretary told us, quote "I am not sending my daughter there because I know what goes on and the kids run riot". Unquote. Maybe you know something that the school secretary doesn't know but I doubt that, I think you are just trying desperately to justify the fact that you CHOSE to send your kids to the worst school in the area but that was your choice and your problem. Finis.
Resorting to personal insults again because you have lost the argument? (that's 'argument' in the academic sense, not 'quarrel' - did you really go to WHSG?). Water off a ducks back dearie, I am far from clueless and certainly not taken in by statistics but the stats are undeniably part of the equation, which you don't seem to recognise. As it happens I have two head teachers in the family and one of my best friends is a recently retired local head teacher so I probably know a lot more about all this than you do and the fact remains that Deanes has a huge problem with disruptive behaviour and by far the worst academic record in Castle Point. As the Deanes school secretary told us, quote "I am not sending my daughter there because I know what goes on and the kids run riot". Unquote. Maybe you know something that the school secretary doesn't know but I doubt that, I think you are just trying desperately to justify the fact that you CHOSE to send your kids to the worst school in the area but that was your choice and your problem. Finis. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

3:18pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Local yachtsman says...

Ps justify your claim that I am "clueless, ignorant and rude". From where I am standing you are the only one who fits that desription.
Ps justify your claim that I am "clueless, ignorant and rude". From where I am standing you are the only one who fits that desription. Local yachtsman
  • Score: 0

4:16pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Diannah says...

HadleighBoy wrote:
Local yachtsman wrote:
Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True?
Clueless, ignorant and rude. Local yachtsman we could go around in circles for years on this one lets just agree that you are one of those people that is completely taken in by League Tables as published by the Department of Educaiton and Skills and they tell the truth the whole truth etc.
I will leave you to your fantasy world in which it must be true because OFSTED say so.

I meanwhile we continue to read between the lines and applaud the good work that is being done.
One day you will understand that education is about the individual and how they achieve to the best of their abilities not about being a statistic.
Mrs Atkinson knows this other schools pander to the people who are blind to the real world.
You are right, Hadleigh Boy. I know that Deanes never like to 'pass the buck' when it comes to a problem pupil. They are a school willing to work with that child and now even offer vocational courses to certain pupils. Extremely rare for them to expel a pupil but not so rare to take in other schools' problems. As you say, far more important than making figures add up.
[quote][p][bold]HadleighBoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Calm down dear! I never said that we had a problem with Deanes as such, I said my daughter did alright there, but I'm pleased to see you finally admit that Deanes have a problem with disuptive pupils but your comment about KJS having 'perfectly behaved children' is pure sarcasm. No group of normal children are perfectly behaved, the difference between the two schools is, or at least always was that KJS ran a much tighter ship where discipline is concerned and that feeds through to the classroom. So why did it take Ms Atkinson EIGHT YEARS to improve the exam results at Deanes, and if they are such a good school, according to you, why are they still, ahem, the worst performing school in the area. True?[/p][/quote]Clueless, ignorant and rude. Local yachtsman we could go around in circles for years on this one lets just agree that you are one of those people that is completely taken in by League Tables as published by the Department of Educaiton and Skills and they tell the truth the whole truth etc. I will leave you to your fantasy world in which it must be true because OFSTED say so. I meanwhile we continue to read between the lines and applaud the good work that is being done. One day you will understand that education is about the individual and how they achieve to the best of their abilities not about being a statistic. Mrs Atkinson knows this other schools pander to the people who are blind to the real world.[/p][/quote]You are right, Hadleigh Boy. I know that Deanes never like to 'pass the buck' when it comes to a problem pupil. They are a school willing to work with that child and now even offer vocational courses to certain pupils. Extremely rare for them to expel a pupil but not so rare to take in other schools' problems. As you say, far more important than making figures add up. Diannah
  • Score: 0

5:51pm Fri 1 Feb 13

Local yachtsman says...

Deanes may well be quite good at dealing with special needs pupils but the question is would you like your normal, well balaced kids to go there and the answer has to be NO if you want them to reach their full potential. If you have a different answer then more fool you.
Deanes may well be quite good at dealing with special needs pupils but the question is would you like your normal, well balaced kids to go there and the answer has to be NO if you want them to reach their full potential. If you have a different answer then more fool you. Local yachtsman
  • Score: -1

9:40am Mon 4 Feb 13

HadleighBoy says...

Local yachtsman wrote:
Deanes may well be quite good at dealing with special needs pupils but the question is would you like your normal, well balaced kids to go there and the answer has to be NO if you want them to reach their full potential. If you have a different answer then more fool you.
Local Yachtsman it is funny how you associate Special Needs with just behaviour issues. Just one small part of the SEN definition. Deanes will accomodate all children where they can because they see the benefits for all children, so we do not end up with a world full of people like you.
Oh and by the way have spent the weekend dealing with a problem that has arisen at your perfect schools. Funnily enough arisen with an academically gifted child who should know better according to you, but they have got in with the wrong crowd that does not exist because they have better GCSE results.
[quote][p][bold]Local yachtsman[/bold] wrote: Deanes may well be quite good at dealing with special needs pupils but the question is would you like your normal, well balaced kids to go there and the answer has to be NO if you want them to reach their full potential. If you have a different answer then more fool you.[/p][/quote]Local Yachtsman it is funny how you associate Special Needs with just behaviour issues. Just one small part of the SEN definition. Deanes will accomodate all children where they can because they see the benefits for all children, so we do not end up with a world full of people like you. Oh and by the way have spent the weekend dealing with a problem that has arisen at your perfect schools. Funnily enough arisen with an academically gifted child who should know better according to you, but they have got in with the wrong crowd that does not exist because they have better GCSE results. HadleighBoy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree