Leatherhead 1–1 Billericay Town

(Midson 21’: Bricknell 67’ (p))

From Fetcham Grove

FA Cup first round

BILLERICAY Town will play their fourth consecutive FA Cup replay after coming from behind to draw 1-1 with Leatherhead in the first round.

Jack Midson had put the Tanners ahead before half-time, only for Billy Bricknell to level from the penalty spot after climbing off the substitutes bench.

Not even two minutes had been played when Town spurned a golden chance to take the lead.

A flick by Ricky Modeste found the run of Jake Robinson but, with plenty of time, the seven-goal FA Cup striker couldn’t find a way past Zaki Oualah in the home goal.

Billericay controlled the opening exchanges, with much of the play inside the Leatherhead final third.

However, there were no clear-cut chances to speak of until the first goal of the afternoon arrived – and it went to the hosts.

With 21 minutes on the clock, a near post cross was sent into the penalty area from the left and Midson – who had a brief spell at Southend United in 2010 - nipped in front of his man to send the deftest of headers beyond Alan Julian.

Former Southend United defender Sean Clohessy blazed off target when well placed on the half hour, with Midson sending another header high and wide as the Tanners took control.

Billericay were struggling to make ground up the pitch, with a half-hearted penalty appeal ignored by the referee five minutes before half-time.

Something needed to change, with Glenn Tamplin introducing Bricknell and Jermaine Pennant at the interval.

But it was the tricky Sam Deering that almost drew parity, a superb clearance by Clohessy denying him a strike on goal five minutes after the break.

Robinson sliced wide when picking up a Bricknell cross as Town tempers began to fray - Pennant was booked for over-zealous protestations to the referee.

The former Arsenal winger then sent a cross onto the head of Cunnington, but the forward’s header sailed wide before his strike partner came even closer.

Deering’s floated cross was helped on by Bricknell but his header only for the frame of the goal to deny him.

But Town were to get their chance. Modeste was bundled over right on the cusp of the box and Bricknell stepped up to send an expertly-taken penalty beyond the keeper’s outstretched fingers. Replays showed the foul may have occurred outside the area.

Buoyed by their leveller Town went in search of the winner, Modeste striking inches wide after the ball dropped to him inside the penalty box.

Leatherhead were not finished yet. Midson, a thorn in the Town defence all afternoon, had a golden chance to put the hosts back in front inside the final 15 minutes – a superb cross headed straight into the goalkeeper’s arms.

Modeste and Swaine had half chances to win it but it wasn’t to be, although the draw does mean Town will feature in tomorrow's draw for the first time in their history.

Billericay Town: Julian, Evans, Konchesky, Chambers (Pennant 46’), Swaine, Deering, Modeste, Waldren (Paine 61’), Theophanous (Bricknell 46’), Cunnington, Robinson