NO-ONE was able to bring any sunshine Southend United’s way at Morecambe this afternoon as they suffered a disappointing 1-0 defeat at the Globe Arena.

Jordan Burrow’s first ever league goal proved to be the difference between the two teams in a dull and dreary clash.

And the Shrimps’ striker’s effort, wich came 14 minutes from time, also saw Paul Sturrock’s side suffer their second away defeat in the space of just five days.

Blues started slowly and were initially under intense pressure as Morecambe piled forward in the opening exchanges.

However, the home-side were unable to create chances and Southend eventually got in to the game with Bilel Mohsni firing over a left wing cross from the recalled Ryan Hall after seven minutes.

Morecambe replied with their top goalscorer Kevin Ellison having a 20 yard shot deflected past the left post by Blues defender Chris Barker.

But, with 16 minutes on the clock, Southend were forced in to making their first change of the afternoon when midfielder Jean-Paul Kalala was carried off with what looked like a serious ankle injury.

Kalala suffered an early knock when challenging Shrimps midfielder Stewart Drummond and then fell to the floor while chasing after Gary McDonald.

After a lengthy spell of treatment, Kalala had to be helped on to a stretcher and was replaced in midfield by Anthony Grant.

His arrival sparked a change in formation as boss Paul Sturrock opted to match up with Morecambe's 4-3-3 formation.

After that, Liam Dickinson shot over from 20 yards before Mark Phillips bundled a deep free kick from Hall wide of the right post.

Morecambe replied with left-back Laurence Wilson shooting past the left upright from 25 yards in the closing action of an uneventful opening half which saw neither side register a single shot on target.

At the start of the second period, Danny Carlton headed an excellent right wing cross from Andy Parrish over the crossbar from close range while under immense pressure from Phillips.

But, in the 56th minute, Southend came even closer to opening the scoring when a half cleared long throw from Luke Prosser was headed back in to the path of Mohsni by Hall.

Mohsni then immediately tried his luck with a looping 12 yard header but, with goalkeeper Barry Roche completely beaten, the ball struck the top of the crossbar before bouncing to safety.

That sparked a spell of pressure from Blues with Grant charging virtually the whole length of the pitch before shooting wide of the left post from the edge of the penalty area.

Hall then managed the game's first shot on target in the 62nd minute when he fired a low right foot shot from 25 yards straight at Roche.

However, Morecambe stood strong and replied 13 minutes later by scoring what proved to be the only goal of the game.

The strike came from a left wing free-kick from substitute Lewis Alessandra which was given after he had also been brought down by Mohsni.

After brushing himself down, Alessandra delivered a cross to the back post where Burrow charged in between Phillips and Luke Prosser before bundling the ball in to the net from close range past Morris who was rooted to his line.

Sturrock reacted by quickly making a double substitution as both Elliot Benyon and David Martin came on in place of Mohsni and Jack Sampson.

And, just moments after the alterations, Hall sent a deflected long range shot straight at Roche.

Morecambe soon hit back though and were unfortunate not to win a penalty in the 87th minute when Alessandra fell to the floor after appearing to be barged back in the back by Prosser.

However, referee Mark Haywood opted to wave play on and that allowed Ellison to shoot just inches wide of the left post from 12 yards.

The double let off kept Blues in the game and they almost made it count in stoppage time when Martin's left wing cross picked out Grant 18 yards from goal.

But, after initially controlling the ball well, the midfielder dragged his shot wide of the left post.